TEXT BY HEATHER DOWDY
PHOTOS BY MARLY RICHARDSON
Every year, thousands of bunnies are sold, bought and given as Easter gifts. Then, when the novelty wears off and parents discover that bunnies are not so great with kids and involve an awful lot of work, they are discarded at shelters across the country.
This puts a huge strain on local rescue groups like Southern Bunny Sanctuary every year -- and puts many shelter rabbits at risk for euthanasia.
WHY BUNNIES ARE NOT EASY EASTER GIFTS:
The House Rabbit Society does a great job of explaining why bunnies and Easter do not mix, including:
- They must be house-trained and live indoors (preferably in circle pens on the floor).
- The house must be bunny-proofed, or Thumper will chew electrical cords, rugs, books, and furniture.
- They must be spayed or neutered, or they will mark your house with feces and urine.
- They must live indoors, as members of the family -- not outdoors in a hutch.
- They are ground creatures who do not typically like to be handled and held.
- They don't make very good pets for children.
Read more about why bunnies and Easter don't mix on their website here.
HOWEVER... BUNNIES MAKE GREAT COMPANIONS FOR THE RIGHT ADOPTER:
With dedication, love and proper care, domestic rabbits do make wonderful companion animals... for the right home! Incorporate these bunny care tips (from our spring 2013 issue) and you and your house bunny will enjoy a glorious relationship for the next ten or more years!
SUPPORT LOCAL BUNNY RESCUE + GET A FUN NECKLACE, KEYCHAIN OR MAGNETS!
Through April 30, 2016, MoonDog will donate $5 of each bunny item (necklaces, keytags and magnets) purchased on their Etsy shoppe to Southern Bunny Sanctuary! Simply order and type BUNNYLOVE into the notes box at the checkout page, and $5 per item will be donated in your name.